The Worshipful Company of Turners

Supporting the Craft, City and Charity for over four hundred years

The Army

The Company’s association with the Armed Forces dates from February 1943 when the Court of Assistants presented the honorary freedom of the Company to Major-General Eric Rowcroft, Director of Mechanical Engineering in the newly formed Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME).

In 1952, at the annual meeting of the City of London Territorial, Auxiliary Volunteer Reserve Association at the Mansion House, Field Marshal Earl Alexander of Tunis suggested that the City Livery Companies should revive the old tradition whereby from Elizabethan times they were linked with the early trained bands, the forerunners of the present Auxiliary Forces of the Crown.

At the suggestion of one of its Liverymen, the Honorary Colonel, H Randal Steward TD, the Company responded by adopting HQ REME 23 (Southern) Corps Troops REME (Volunteers), and REME units under command, whose headquarters were at Finsbury Barracks to the north of the City.

Find out more about the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers.

 

Copyright © 2017 | The Worshipful Company of Turners

Website built by Jason King