Bursary Awards for 2022, apply now!
THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF TURNERS
In 2022 the Turners’ Company is offering Bursaries to help talented turners develop their skills and to move to a higher level of achievement. Applicants need to present a clear plan of how the award will advance their work and raise the profile of the craft. A total of £12,000 is available.
What are the Turners’ Company Bursaries awarded for?
• To fund research, training and business knowledge to improve your turning and how to market it.
• To purchase specialist equipment, provided it is part of the whole request enabling the turner to continue their work with the skills learned.
• Bursaries are not normally awarded for premises or other business set-up costs.
What are we looking for?
• Well thought out proposals which will develop the applicant’s skill and contribute to the excellence of our craft.
• A clear explanation of how your skills will be enhanced, and what you expect to achieve as a result.
• A reasonably accurate estimate of the cost of your proposals.
Who can apply?
• You must be 16 or over and a UK resident.
• You need to be committed to develop your skills to a higher level within the craft of turning.
• All turners can apply, including those who have received previous awards from the Turners’ Company. Applicants’ work must be well regarded by their peers, hence the need for referees (see below).
You need to provide:
• A short curriculum vitae.
• At least two photographs of turned items made by you, describing how you turned them and the materials you used;
• An outline of your aspirations with a plan of what you want to achieve from a Bursary (new techniques, skills, training, marketing);
• A costed plan showing how you intend to use the Bursary.
• The names and addresses of two referees who should be members of the Turners’ Company, the Register of Professional Turners, the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain, the Society of Ornamental Turners or the Association of Pole Lathe Turners and Green Woodworkers.
All applications will be carefully considered and shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview, in early June 2022. The interviews are usually held in London and reasonable travel expenses will be paid. Or they could be on Zoom.
At the interview you will be asked to make a short presentation in support of your proposal, highlighting what you would achieve with a bursary. You will need to show relevant examples of your work and generally display a passion for the craft. Bursaries take applicants’ skill to a new level, so they will need to show they already have a reasonably advanced level of skill.
The decision of the Bursary Committee is final. More than one bursary may be awarded, or if there is no suitable candidate the award money will be held over.
• Applications must be received by the Turners’ Company Assistant Clerk by Friday 13th May 2022.
• Those invited for interview will be notified by Monday 30th May 2022. Interviews will be in early June, and awards published by end June.
Address for applications, and further information
The Clerk, The Worshipful Company of Turners,
Saddlers House, 44 Gutter Lane, London, EC2V 6BR
firstname.lastname@example.org, 0207 236 3605
Back to News