Making of the Turners Consort
When: Wednesday 20th January
Time: 5.30 pm – 7.00 pm
Cost: £10 per household
Booking: Via Amanda Ratcliffe – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Musicians Company, with whom we have a close relationship, are holding an event and have invited our Master as guest speaker – kindly extending an invitation for members of the Turners Company to join.
The programme has been curated around our commission of eight turned medieval-style recorders and the Company’s long links with the traditions of instrument making, dating back to the 1400s. As you know, the instruments are loaned to the Guildhall School of Music & Drama for teaching and performances by students specialising in woodwind instruments and historical performance and we will enjoy a new five-minute performance played on the Turners Consort recorded by us exclusively for the evening.
Many members enjoyed the fantastic turning demo by Tim Cranmore, using carrots, at the Summer Reception in 2019 and this is another chance to watch him.
With a packed evening on the background to the Turners Consort of instruments, the mini performance by students and another fashioning of a carrot into a recorder – it’s a must!
• Introduction by Past Master Musician Sir Roger Gifford
• Melissa Scott, Master Turner: on the commissioning of the Turners Consort of instruments
• Ian Wilson, principal recorder professor at Guildhall School of Music & Drama: specifying the qualities of the instruments
• Tim Cranmore, one of the UK’s leading instrument makers: the voicing and tuning of the instruments and a demonstration of turning a recorder by turning a carrot into a usable instrument
• Performance of medieval music played by Guildhall students on the Turners Consort of instruments
• Q & A from the audience hosted by Roger Gifford with Ian, Tim and Melissa
• Chat rooms
• Wrap up: Sir Roger Gifford
To book – please email Amanda Ratcliffe – email@example.com who will be able to provide details of how to pay. You will receive a Zoom link by email nearer the time.
Back to Members Events