Recruitment of Clerk to the Worshipful Company of Turners
Our current Clerk is retiring later this year and we are now seeking applicants to take over this important and multi-faceted role.
Start date: September 2021
Hours: 3½ days per week worked flexibly
Salary: £37,500 p.a. plus pro rata holiday and pension contributions
Application Deadline: 30th April 2021
The Worshipful Company of Turners is one of the ancient Livery Companies in the City of London incorporated by Royal Charter, with origins which can be traced back to the 12th Century. Today its 200 members have diverse backgrounds but a shared interest in the craft of turning and in the City. Through these historical and contemporary links the Company continues to celebrate and support the ‘art & mysterie’ of turning along with a range of educational and charitable activities.
The Company is seeking a Clerk to the Company, a part-time position, to replace the current Clerk who will be retiring after nine years in the post.
The Clerk is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Company and the implementation of projects and strategies adopted by the Court of the Company. This key executive position involves working closely with and supervising the Assistant Clerk and the Beadle.
The Clerk has a ceremonial role at the Company’s formal functions, accompanies the Master to a number of daytime and evening civic and livery events throughout the year and is an important representative of the Company on such occasions.
This could be the perfect part-time role if you:
• have strategic awareness with the ability to see the bigger picture of a long-standing, membership-based organisation but with an eye for detail;
• are flexible and able to work under pressure across multiple roles;
• have hands-on administration and organisational abilities including managing a small team;
• have good verbal and written presentation and communication abilities, including via modern media;
• have budgeting, book-keeping and office IT skills;
• are comfortable managing formal ceremonial events and the protocols involved; and
• have a friendly yet politely assertive way with a diversity of people at all levels of society.
Knowledge of the Livery and the traditions of the City of London are desirable but not essential.
The post is mainly based at the Company’s office in the City of London. You will undertake 3½ days of work spread across the week to accommodate your duties, including occasional evenings attending formal and social functions.
Full details of the role requirements can be obtained here (PDF).
To apply for this role, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a short CV (maximum 2 pages A4) outlining your career history with key roles and responsibilities
- a covering letter explaining how you meet the skills outlined above and giving examples relevant to the nine categories of duties laid out in the detailed role description.
Back to News