Woodturning Connect 2023
Biennial Exhibition & Competitions
When: 18th October, judging day, and private view reception. 19th October, public viewing and purchasing day, FREE ENTRY, ticketing available through Eventbrite (available soon)
Where: Pewterers’ Hall, Oat Lane, London EC2V 7DE (map)
Timings: Competition pieces need to be at the Hall by noon on Wednesday 18th October. The Hall will be open at 9am if you are coming in person. The public viewing and purchasing day with be open from 10 am until 4.00 pm on Thursday 19th October.
The Worshipful Company of Turners holds its turning competitions every two years. They attract entries from turners of all ages and skill. There should be a competition for you, whatever your interest or proficiency.
This page provides a summary of the ten competitions and the exhibition category. Linked pages provide more detail and online entry forms.
The competitions are organised by the Turners’ Company in association with the:
- Association of Woodturners of Great Britain
- Society of Ornamental Turners
- Association of Pole Lathe Turners and Greenwood Workers
How to Enter
Rules and entry forms can be found on each competition page (links below).
A. The Worshipful Company of Turners’ Competitions
These competitions are open to all turners normally resident in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland (except for the Bert Marsh competitions)
- The Master’s Exhibition – a piece taking the Royal Coronation as its theme. Entry by invitation only
- The Master’s mixed media competition – any turned item in wood and incorporating at least some leather or pewter, or both
- Felix Levy Competition – Any piece of turning with no restriction as to subject, size or style
- Bert Marsh Competitions – two categories, one for members of the Worshipful Company of Turners and one for holders of the Company’s Certificate in Turning
B. Competitions organised in conjunction with the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain. Open to members of the AWGB
C. Competitions organised in conjunction with the Society of Ornamental Turners. Open to members of the SOT
- The Lady Gertrude Crawford – for conventional ornamental turning
- The Fred Howe – for rose turning or a combination of ornamental and rose turning
- The H.E.Twentyman – predominantly plain turning, but with a discrete element of ornamental turning
D. Competition organised in conjunction with Association of Pole Lathe Turners and Greenwood Workers. Open to members of the APTGW
- Pole Lathe, One competition, to produce a piece on a pole lathe
This competition is being held at Bodgers Ball in May 2023, though entries will be displayed at Pewterers’ Hall on 19th October 2023.
Monday 18th September
- Entry forms must be received by the Assistant Clerk by close of business on Monday 18th September. If you submit your entry after this date, we cannot guarantee that your piece(s) will be entered into the competitions
Monday 2nd October
- Items being delivered by post or courier should arrive at the Company offices in Saddlers’ Hall, no later than 5pm on this date.
- Please refer to General Conditions of entry 2023 for further details
Wednesday 18th October
- All entries must be at Pewterers’ Hall by noon. Please don’t bring anything in person without having previously submitted an entry form before 18th September. No pieces will be entered into the competitions without an entry form provided before 18th September.
- Private View and Evening Reception (invitation only)
Thursday 19th October
- 10 am – 4.00 pm public view day and opportunity to buy
- 4.30 pm prize giving ceremony
- Entries which have not been sold may be collected from Pewterers’ Hall after the prize giving ceremony