Turning Competitions 2021 are coming soon!
Exhibited as part of the 2021 Wizardry in Wood Exhibition
When: 12th October to 16th October, (Wizardry Exhibition will be open to the public from 13th)
Where: Carpenters’ Hall, 1 Throgmorton Ave, London EC2N 2JJ (map)
Timings: Competition pieces need to be at the hall by noon on Monday 11th October. The hall will open at 9am if you are coming in person. The exhibition will be open to the public from 10 am until 4.00 pm 13th to 16th October.
The Competitions will remain the same as planned for 2020.
The Worshipful Company of Turners holds its turning competitions every two years. They attract entries from turners of all ages and skill. There should be a competition for you, whatever your interest or proficiency.
For example, this year’s Master’s Open Competition reflects the Company’s links with music throughout history. Woodturners are asked to create works with the theme ‘music’, a wide theme to give scope.
This page provides a summary of the thirteen competitions. Linked pages provide more detail and online entry forms.
The competitions are organised by the Turners’ Company in association with the:
- Association of Woodturners of Great Britain
- Society of Ornamental Turners
- Association of Pole Lathe Turners and Greenwood Workers
In addition to the opportunity to win competition prizes, the Wizardry in Wood 2021 exhibition ‘View, Love, Buy’ provides a great opportunity to showcase your entries to the public and, if you wish, to sell them.
How to Enter
Rules and entry forms can be found on each competition page (links below).
The Worshipful Company of Turners’ Competitions
These competitions are open to all turners normally resident in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland (except for the Bert Marsh competitions)
- Master’s Plain Turning Competition: Any piece of turning containing two different species of wood
- Master’s Ornamental Turning Competition: A decorated Tazza in any style and of any size
- Master’s Open Competition: A piece depicting the theme of ‘music’
- Felix Levy Competition: Any piece of turning with no restriction as to subject, size or style
- Bert Marsh Competitions: two for members of the Worshipful Company of Turners (novice and experienced) and the other for holders of the Company’s Certificate in Turning
Competitions organised with the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain
Open to members of the AWGB only.
- AWGB Senior competition: any turned piece with no restriction as to subject, size or style.
- AWGB Ray Key competition: for entrants under 21 at the date of the competition: any turned piece with no restriction as to subject, size or style.
Competitions organised with the Society of Ornamental Turners
Open to members of the SOT only.
- Lady Gertrude Crawford Competition: a significant proportion of the work to be by conventional ornamental turning. All forms of rose turning are excluded.
- Fred Howe Competition: a significant proportion of the work to be by rose turning or a combination of both ornamental and rose turning.
- H.E.Twentyman Competition: predominantly plain form, not necessarily of circular section, with the addition of a discrete element of ornamental using either or both conventional ornamental turning and rose turning techniques.
Competition organised with the Association of Pole Lathe Turners and Greenwood Workers
Open to members of the APTGW only.
- APTGW competition: Any piece of turning produced on a pole lathe.
Monday 4th October
- Entry forms must be received by the Assistant Clerk of the Turners’ Company by COB on Monday 4th October. Due to the amount of administration involved, if you submit your entry form after this date, we cannot guarantee that your piece(s) will be entered into the competitions.
Wednesday 6th October
- Items being delivered by post or courier should arrive at the Company offices no later than 5pm on this date.
Please refer to General Conditions of entry 2021 for details.
Monday 11th October
- All entries must be at Carpenters’ Hall by noon. Various collection points around the country are listed in the General Conditions of entry 2021
Wednesday 13th to Saturday 16th October, Wizardry in Wood
- 10 am – 4.00 pm Wednesday to Saturday: exhibition of all the entries and winners of the competitions, with opportunity to buy
- Prize giving will be held on Saturday 16th October
- Entries which have not been sold may be collected from Carpenters’ Hall on Saturday 16th between 4pm and 5pm.
For further details, please look at the General Conditions of entry 2021